Nuts & seeds are a great superfoods during pregnancy or anytime. Because I’m currently pregnant, I created this recipe loaded with healthy nuts & seeds like slivered almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, and hemp seeds.
Not only are these superfoods packed with vital nutrients like protein, iron, and plant-based omega 3 fatty acids, they’re also high in fiber which is very helpful for that oh-so-not-fun but extremely common pregnancy symptom of constipation, while your digestive system slows down to absorb more nutrients for baby. Depending on the type of prenatal supplements being taken, they can also lead to further constipation.
A couple notes on ingredients: Best to use organic ingredients if possible! When buying nuts and seeds, either buy from bulk section (unsalted) or be sure to read ingredients on back of packaging to make sure the only ingredient is the nut or seed. Ain’t nobody need no added salt or hydrogenated oils!
- 1 cup organic old fashioned oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 3/4 cup peanut butter (make sure the only ingredient in your peanut butter is peanuts!)
- 1/4 cup raw local honey
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 4 medjool dates (pitted)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, combine peanut butter, honey, and vanilla extract.
- In another small bowl, soak medjool dates in warm water for a few minutes, then blend together.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, nuts & seeds, and pink salt. *Add chocolate chips at this step, or step 6.
- Add the pb honey mixture, and blended (warm) date water to the large bowl.
- Pour into a a brownie or cake pan and refrigerate for a few hours. The chia seeds will soak up any extra moisture from the date water.
- If opted not to add chocolate chips in step 3, now would be your time to melt your chocolate (with about 1/4 tsp coconut oil) and drizzle over your bars.