These lemon date energy balls are specially formulated to support thyroid health. They’re gluten-free and loaded with special ingredients that support thyroid health in different ways. This is also a simple no-bake recipe, and just so happens to be vegan.
During my research into foods that help support thyroid function, I read about the many benefits of oats, coconut oil, and Ashwaghanda. I also read that selenium is an important nutrient for healthy thyroid, and brazil nuts are one of the highest food sources of selenium I know of, so I snuck some brazil nuts in this recipe.
Gluten and dairy are common inflammation triggers for people with thyroid issues, so these balls are both gluten and dairy free.
Another important food aspect for thyroid is healing the gut lining. Prebiotics and probiotics are great for this, hence making the tigernut flour great for thyroid in 2 ways: 1. it’s gluten-free and 2. it’s a prebiotic.
Note: Ashwaghanda is an optional ingredient in this recipe because it doesn’t do anything for the taste or consistency of the balls. It is an adaptogenic herb that will adapt to help balance you out whether you’re hyper- or hypo- and is just added for its medicinal purposes as an ingredient for Thyroid-health benefits. It can be skipped without compromise to the taste or consistency.
(note: if purchased through some of these links, I will receive a small % of the sale)
- 8 Medjool dates
- 1 organic lemon (juice and zest)
- 1/2 cup organic old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup Organic Gemini Tigernut flour (or other gluten-free flour, but won’t have the prebiotic benefits of tigernut flour)
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup brazil nuts
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- *optional 2 tsp Ashwaghanda
- Soak medjool dates in warm water for a couple minutes to make sure they are nice and plump and juicy, later discard this water.
- Blend Medjool dates, cashews, and brazil nuts in a food processor or high-speed blender.
- Add wet ingredients to dates and nuts: lemon juice & zest, coconut oil, vanilla extract. Blend briefly, just enough to evenly combine ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: oats, tigernut flour, hemp seeds, sea salt, and ashwaghanda (if including).
- Combine wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Refrigerate mixture for about 30 minutes, to make it easier to form into balls.
- Roll into approximately tablespoon sized balls (but really any size is fine – whatever floats your boat). I use an icrecream scooper with a lever to make the balls evenly sized, and then roll into ball-form with my hands.
- If adding frosting: melt 2 parts coconut butter and blend or mix with 1 part maple syrup. Drizzle over balls to your hearts content. 🙂
This recipe makes about 30 balls, depending on the size you make them.