Yay for DIY vegan nut milks!
Yay for Pumpkin-spice-everything season!
Yay for a dusty mint photo props opportunity; it’s my favorite color 🙂
”Tis the season for pumpkin 🎃 spice everything.
This recipe is for a delicious pumpkin spice pistachio nut milk. I regularly make nut milks, usually almond or cashew, but decided to branch out and try something different this time. And I’m so happy I did! This pistachio nut milk recipe is sooooo delicious.
I’m feeling festive and making pistachio milk feels like a special occasion to me, so I wanted to make this nut milk super sweet, flavorful, and extra delicious (contrary to my usual nut milks where I typically hold back on adding any type of natural sweeteners or spices in favor of a cleaner plain milk.) This recipe uses medjool dates for sweetness (one of my fav natural sweeteners), vanilla extract, and of course, pumpkin spice. These add-ins are all technically optional, and can be substituted for or left out completely. Go wild!
Compared to almond milk, I found pistachio milk easier to make; it does not necessarily need the filtering step, similar to cashew milk. To learn how to make almond milk and turn the leftover pulp into flour, check out my blog post on that here.
I also want to let you guys know about a special discount opportunity on the nut milk bags that I use. My bags are from Ellie’s Best and I love them! The discount code is ‘mercedes10’ for 10% off their site: https://elliesbest.com/shop/! 👌🏼✨
If you don’t already have one, I would definitely recommend buying a nut milk bag for making nut milks. But if you’re already comfortable with the process, and good at handling cheese cloth, you could totally use that instead.
(If you purchase any of these ingredients through the links I’ve included, I will receive a small portion of the sale)
- 1 cup (8 oz) unsalted shelled pistachios
- 4 cups filtered water
- 4 medjool dates, pitted *optional
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract *optional
- 1/8 tsp Celtic sea salt *optional
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves) *optional
- Soak pistachios in water for 6+ hours.
- Drain water from pistachios and give the soaked pistachios a good rinse.
- Add pistachios, water, medjool dates, vanilla extract, and spices in a high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth and frothy. This step took about 1 minute on high speed in my Vitamix.
- Filter milk through Ellie’s Best nut milk bag into a large bowl* (Don’t forget to use my discount code, mercedes10, for 10% off Ellie’s Best website).
- Pour filtered pistachio milk into jar and enjoy. Store in fridge for 3-5 days.
- Separation is natural and expected. Give a shake before each use. 🙂
*There was hardly any leftover pistachio pulp after filtering this milk. Which leads me to believe you could totally skip the filtering step for pistachio milk, similar to Cashew milk. Typically, I dry out my leftover pulps and turn them into flours. But since the pulp was so small in this case, I threw it into a baked good I was making.
Hope you enjoy the milk and don’t mind the overload of photos with dusty mint props (I had too much fun during this photo shoot!)