BEEEEETS. Everyone thinks they’re pretty cool (I mean, look at the colors!) But they can be pretty intimidating with how to eat them.
I typically don’t get too creative with how we eat them, and it can get kind of boring – or if I buy too many, tough to eat them all. But with this recipe, trust me, you won’t have any problem finishing them off. In fact, you’ll probably wish you bought a LOT MORE beets.
As usual, the majority of ingredients in this recipe come from my local farmers market with the beets, onions, and maple syrup all coming from NYC Greenmarkets.
Btw, make sure to also eat your beet GREENS!!! Simply saute with some olive oil, fresh garlic, salt & pepper, and you will be in heaven. SOO nutritious AND delicious. Do not throw the beet greens away!
Now, onwards to the candy beets recipe 😉
- About 4 medium sized beets (previously boiled, peeled, and brought to room temp or chilled), cubed
- 3 small shallots or other small onion (or about 1/2 large onion), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Celtic sea salt or Pink Himalayan salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional: feta or goat cheese for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a cast iron skillet on the stove top, heat maple syrup and olive oil on medium heat until simmers
- Add chopped onions and heat for a couple minutes or until browned
- Add beet cubes, salt and pepper, and continue on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring throughout
- Transfer cast iron to preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes
- Broil until SLIGHTLY browned. It took me over 5 minutes, but depends on your broiler. KEEP AN EYE DURING THIS STEP 🙂
- Serve and ENJOY this delicious healthy beet recipe that tastes like candy
- Optional: garnish with feta or goat cheese
Hope you enjoy!