This was my first time making pesto, and I have to say, I hit it out of the park with this recipe.
Simple. Clean. Fresh. And vegan!
Instead of Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast like most pesto recipes I've seen, I used tahini. Which, in combination with fresh whole food ingredients plus avocado oil, I believe makes this recipe's ingredient list even more clean than most other pestos.
Most importantly, the taste is out of this world!
My husband proclaimed, "this is the best pesto I've ever eaten!"
That could be a testament to this recipe… or it could always just be a testament to him being a smart husband… but I think it's more of the former. 😉
Our first use of the pesto was on top of roasted potatoes with rosemary. simple. delicious. nurturing comfort food. DIVINELY YUM!
How will you use your pesto? 🙂 Comment below and let me know.
- 1-3 cups fresh basil leaves (loosely packed)
- 3/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup Chosen Foods Avocado Oil
- 3 garlic cloves (also optional 🙂 )
- 1/4 cup tahini (optional – I forgot to include this last time I made the recipe and I think it tastes better without it!)
- 2 TBSP fresh squeezed lemon juice
- pink Himalayan salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Combine ingredients in vitamix or food processor
- blend until desired consistency is reached (it took me several minutes) stopping periodically to push down the sides
- Can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. Or can be stored in the freezer for 3-4 months.